The Strategic Plan will establish San Diego State University’s vision and mission for the next five years, elevating the distinctive nature of the university and its campus community.
The plan will serve as the primary guide for SDSU’s growth and commitment to teaching, research and creativity, with the intention of transforming the lives of students and engaging our communities. We believe and know that the transformative experience provided at San Diego State University enriches lives and strengthens communities on our own campus and in our binational region, and has a lasting impact around the world through the work of our students, faculty, staff and alumni.
We invite you to share your ideas and questions via the feedback form.
Proposed Strategic Planning Priorities
Earlier this year, the Strategic Planning Steering Committee was formed with 32 members representing students, faculty, staff, and administration. The committee held strategic planning kickoff events in September with the purpose of identifying initial strategic priorities for the campus. Far exceeding planned expectations, nearly 4,000 individuals (including our alumni) participated in the kickoff events and online participation options. The input we received was documented and analyzed by our external consultants from Emeritus Consulting Group and AASCU-Penson Center for Professional Development.
Informed by these results and contextual factors (e.g., performance data, rankings information, ongoing public feedback), the committee has produced a draft of five proposed strategic priorities, marking an important point in its year-long process to develop a strategic plan to chart SDSU’s future for the next five years and beyond.
To date, more than 4,000 members of the campus and broader communities have provided input and feedback leading to the development of the university's strategic priorities. As part of the committe's ongoing process, campus and other community members are encouraged to continue to share information and questions via the feedback form.
The five proposed strategic priorities, updated in January 2020, in non-ranked order, are:
- We are SDSU: SDSU will expand and unify our multi-campus and virtual university through a common mission and identity. No matter SDSU’s campus or program location, our collective mission is to support the educational and economic development of our regional partners while creating a sense of unified belonging for students, faculty, staff and alumni. Under a single name, our multi-campus university includes the Imperial Valley, the Mesa, a future Mission Valley location, microsites, programs around the globe and online. We span the entire California-Mexico border and serve the world.
- Students at our Core: SDSU will be a national exemplar in providing access to success through transformational experiences in and outside of the classroom for undergraduate, graduate and adult learners. We will cultivate a university culture and infrastructure that facilitates an affordable, student-centered, lifelong educational journey, supported by every member of the SDSU family. Our collective efforts will elevate SDSU as a national exemplar for educating and training the innovators and leaders our region and global society demand. We commit to a future where students — before, during and after their collegiate years — are able to achieve their current and future goals, and their greatest potential.
- Premier Hispanic-Serving Research University, Our New Frontier: SDSU will forge a path to elevate our stature as a research university where excellence and access converge. As a community of scholars, SDSU is committed to forging a distinct identity as a public research university that prepares students to address societal and global needs. We will leverage SDSU’s unique stature as a community-engaged, border-connected, Hispanic-Serving Institution located on Kumeyaay land. We are committed to developing infrastructure and resources that enable our research activity to grow while continuing to support excellence in teaching.
- Equity and Inclusion In Everything We Do: SDSU will be a global leader in advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in research, teaching and in the community. At SDSU, the mark of our global leadership will be an innovative institutional infrastructure that promotes and supports diversity, equity and inclusion in everything we do: research, teaching, professional development, student experiences in and outside the classroom, and community relationships. Our values compel us to foster such an environment, where community members of all identities can thrive. We embrace SDSU’s identity as a Hispanic-Serving Institution on the border, and recognize our residence on Kumeyaay land.
- Resilient. Designed to Thrive: SDSU is committed to building a resilient university through innovative practices. We commit to using our resources with transparency, equity and accountability in alignment with the university's goals. We must develop new revenue streams to meet our scholarly and teaching aspirations, our dedication to community and diversity, and the athletic endeavors of the university. With a focus on global and environmental sustainability, SDSU will invest in physical infrastructure, technology and organizational practices that prioritize the responsible management of resources.
A Message from the President
Dear SDSU Family,
Last year, when I arrived at San Diego State University, I promised that a strategic plan would come only after I had the opportunity to listen. I knew that listening intently to our students, faculty, staff, and alumni would help me appreciate SDSU’s rich legacy, the challenges we face today, and the opportunities ahead.
Patience, clarity, and communication will be our priorities every step of the way. My heartfelt desire is that you engage throughout this process, as it is your collective ideas that will yield a Strategic Plan that is distinct, reflective of SDSU’s legacy, and which will transform how we imagine our future.
With enthusiasm and sincerity,
Adela de la Torre
San Diego State University President