Events & Activities
The International Student Center (ISC) plans many cultural, educational, and social events and programs throughout the year. The calendar of events lets you know what’s coming up in the future. There are many ways to get involved, and we encourage you to explore new activities and meet new people.
Make the most of this new chapter in your life. Explore the many activities and events offered by ISC, and get involved!
CULTURAL STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Afrikan Student Union
- Andres Bonifacio Samahan
- Armenian Student Union
- Asian Pacific Student Alliance
- Brazillian Student Association
- Chinese Student and Scholar Association
- Chinese Student Union
- Il Circolo Italiano
- International Student Association
- Japanese Student Association
- Korean Student Association
- Kuwaiti Student Association
- Middle Eastern Student Union
- Saudi Students Club
- Taiwanese Student Association
For a comprehensive list of all cultural student organizations, visit Student Life and Leadership.
International Education Week
International Education Week occurs every November as a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment. The International Student Center in partnership with other academic and administrative units plans a number of cultural, educational, and social programs during this week.
International Peace Village
Part of International Education Week, International Peace Village is the annual fall celebration of international cultures. This is an opportunity for international students to share their traditions with the SDSU and San Diego community. The event attracts over 1,000 participants, including school children and community leaders. It features cultural displays, music, songs, dances, costumes and performances from all over the world. Please contact [email protected] if you or your student organization is interested in setting up a display, hosting a booth, or performing something from your country. Peace Village is the ISC's biggest event of the year!
International Essay Contest
The purpose of the International Essay Contest is to build mutual respect through empathy and, using the American idiom, "walking a mile in another person's shoes" (experiencing something from someone else's point of view). By sharing your story, you have an opportunity to help your fellow students and others in the SDSU community better know, feel and appreciate your international student experience.
Click here to learn more about the International Essay Contest and how you can enter!
Interntional Student Graduation Ceremony
Each year, we celebrate students' achievements by hosting a reception and award ceremony for completion of their exchange program or receiving their undergraduate/graduate degrees.
International Cultural Coffee Hour
International Cultural Coffee Hour is a long standing tradition at the International Student Center. Every Friday, from 12 noon until 12:50 pm, students share their culture through performances, presentations, songs and, of course, food.
Visit the International Student Center for walk-in hours with your adviser on Wednesdays! We also have games and activities outside while you wait!
- Study Abroad Office: 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- ISC Main Office: 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
ISC offers a variety of educational workshops for international students. Visit the ISC calendar for workshop dates this semester.
F-1 Employment Workshops
- General Employment Overview: Learn how to plan and get started early to work in the U.S. after graduation.
- Resumé Workshops: Get help with writing a good resumé in this workshop. (Learn more about resumés from SDSU Career Services.)
- Elevator Speech Workshop: Learn how to sell your best self in 2 minutes or less. (An elevator speech is a quick statement, made in the time it might take to ride an elevator, where you "sell" your idea or yourself.)
- Interviewing: The best way to prepare for an interview is to practice. Learn and practice interview techniques in this workshop. (Learn more about interviewing from SDSU Career Services.)
- Networking: Learn how to network and make "small talk" with new people. (Learn more about networking from SDSU Career Services.)
- This workshop will help working international students prepare to file their annual U.S. taxes. Learn more.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT): Apply for OPT at an OPT Application Meeting
J-1 Academic Training Workshop
- This workshop is for SDSU J-1 exchange students who are interested in learning about getting work authorization for an internship in their field of studies. (Learn more about academic training.)