Documents and Requests for International Students
Change of Education Level
Change of Status in U.S. Request Form
Use this form to request a change of status in the U.S, people who are completing this form will be required to upload documents, and are required to meet with an International Student Advisor.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Request Form
For information on CPT, please review the CPT webpage. When completing the CPT Request Form, you are required to upload job offer letter or internship letter and the fully completed and signed CPT Application Form with your academic department’s approval.
Financial Statement Form
- For Continuing Degree-seeking Students
- Use this form and provide other supporting financial documents to provide evidence of funding if you are applying for an I-20 extension.
I-20 Initial SEVIS Request Form
This form is used by continuing students who need a new SEVIS ID to be generated. A new SEVIS fee must be paid to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. This form is not for newly admitted students.
I-20 Replacement/Update Request Form
Use this form to request a replacement or updated I-20, only for the reasons listed below:
- Travel Signature
- Change of Major
I-20 Request Form - Other
Use this form to request one of the I-20 documents listed below. Required supporting documents are listed beneath each I-20 request:
- Passport Copy of Dependent(s)
- Copy of Financial Documentation
- Copy of Marriage Certificate (spouse dependent) or Birth Certificate (child dependent) with English translation
- Change of Country of Citizenship:
- Copy of New Passport
- Change of Name:
- Copy of New Passport
- Update Financial Information:
- Copy of Financial Documentation
Kuwait Government Sponsored Student Request Form
Please read the information on our Sponsored Student webpage, then use this form to submit the following requests:
- Study Plan signature
- Letter to Take Classes Outside SDSU
- Letter about Class that Needs to be Retaken or was Retaken
- Verification of Non-Traditional Courses (formerly "Online Course Audit")
Optional Practical Training (OPT) I-20 Request Form
Students who are completing their degree program should use this form to request an I-20 for their pre-completion or post-completion OPT application after reviewing the information on the OPT webpage.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM 24-Month Extension I-20 Request Form
Students who are currently on post-completion OPT should use this form to request an I-20 for their OPT STEM 24-month extension application after reviewing the information on the OPT STEM webpage. Submission of this form must be accompanied by an I-983 training plan.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Update Form
All students on OPT and the OPT STEM extension should use this form if:
- They have not received their SEVP portal email notification after the start date on their EAD card
- Their SEVP portal account is locked (request a reset)
- Personal information has changed (email address, U.S. physical address, phone number)
- They are ending OPT or STEM OPT early and departing the U.S., or changing to another immigration status
- Updating employment information past the 10-day reporting window
Lastly, students on the OPT STEM extension should use this form to:
- Report their 6-month participation
- Submit annual evaluations
- Change of employer information
- Updated I-983 with material changes.
This form should be completed within 10 days of the change.
Program of Study I-20 Extension Request Form
This form is only for students who need to extend their current F-1 immigration status. A Financial Statement Form and financial proof must be uploaded when submitting this request. This form is not for students applying for the OPT STEM extension.
Please limit your financial statement form’s filename and your financial document’s filename to 15 characters or less.
SEVIS Transfer Request Form
Use this form to transfer your SEVIS record to another U.S. school or if you need a transfer clearance form to be completed. Students who will not complete their degree program at SDSU and are transferring out are required to speak with an ISC advisor. To make an appointment, please contact us.
Social Security Verification Request Form
Use this form to certify that you are an F-1 or J-1 student attending San Diego State University and that you have been offered on-campus employment. The F-1 Immigration Reporting Module and Health Insurance Purchase also are required. Please review the detailed information about how to apply for a Social Security number.
Academic Training Application Submission Form
This form is only to be used by students who hold J-1 immigration status. Before completing this form, please meet with an ISC Advisor to discuss eligibility and review the Academic Training (AT) information and process. When submitting the Academic Training Application Submission Form, you are required to upload the job offer letter or internship letter and the fully completed and signed Academic Training Record Form with your academic department's approval. Additional financial support documents may be needed based on request.
Academic Training Reporting Form
This form is for students who are on a peroid of approved J-1 Academic Training who need to report an update to their SEVIS record, including change of address, phone number, and end of Academic Training evaluation.
DS-2019 Replacement/Update Request Form
Use this form if you hold J-1 immigration status and need a travel signature, replacement or updated DS-2019, only for the reasons listed below:
- Travel signature
Exchange Student Home University Form Submission
Use this form if you are a J-1 exchange student, to submit a home university form, such as a learning agreement or Arrival/Departure form required by your home university.
Financial Statement Form
- For Exchange Students
- International exchange students must present evidence of sufficient funds available to meet financial obligations at SDSU. Your DS-2019 form for obtaining a student visa will be issued after this form is received and approved by SDSU Office of Admissions. (Note: if family members will accompany you, additional financial support is required.)
On Campus Employment Authorization Request Form
Use this form if an on-campus department requires employment authorization from the ISC. This letter certifies that you are a J-1 student attending SDSU and that you may work up to 20 hours per week on campus. This form is only required if a campus employer asks for verification that you are allowed to work on campus.
Program of Study DS-2019 Extension Request Form
This form is only to be used by students who hold an J-1 immigratin status. You must meet with an ISC advisor before you submit this request. If you are an EXCHANGE student studying at SDSU for 1 or 2 semesters, please note you must receive extension approval from both your home university coordinator and SDSU Global Education office before you can submit this request. The extension request must be approved by GEO and your home institution by Nov 1st (if extending through Spring)/ April 1st (if extending through Fall). Please submit your requests at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline to allow for enough processing time.
Alternate Health Insurance
Use this form if you have an alternate health insurance provided by:
- A grant from SDSU or SDSU Research Foundation
- On OPT while enrolled in a thesis/comprehensive exam class
- The Embassy of Sultanate Oman
- The Embassy of the State of Qatar
- The Embassy of the United Arab Emirates
- The Fulbright Program
- The Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission
- Your employment as a TA or GA at SDSU
Completion/Termination of Immigration Status Form
- Adjusted visa status and will conclude use of F-1 or J-1 visa
- Completing degree program with no intention of applying for OPT
- Withdrawing early from OPT/STEM OPT and will depart the U.S.
- Withdrawing from the university and will not finish degree
Concurrent Enrollment Authorization Request
F-1 students are eligible for simultaneous enrollment with a combination of courses at SDSU and another college or university, only if approved by the SDSU International Student Services. Use this form to request authorization for concurrent enrollment only if you will be under-enrolled at SDSU (less than 12 units for undergraduate and less than 9 units for graduate students). If you will be enrolled full-time at SDSU, do not submit this form. Instead, submit the Letter Request Form – Authorization to Take Additional Courses Outside of SDSU. For more information on concurrent enrollment, please review this webpage.
Leave of Absence for Immigration Request Form
Before submitting this form, please review this webpage and make a required appointment to speak with an International Student Advisor.
Leave of Absence for Immigration Return Request Form
Use this form if you are currently on a leave of absence and would like to return to SDSU to resume your degree program. For information on returning from a Leave of Absence, please review this webpage.
Use this form to request an:
- Authorization to Take Additional Courses Outside of SDSU: This letter is often required by the school outside of SDSU that you are requesting to take classes in. The letter certifies that the ISC authorizes you to take classes at another school. During the academic year, your registration at SDSU and the school will equal 12 or more units. In addition, at least 9 units at SDSU must be lecture and/or hybrid courses. As a reminder, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that their class selections outside of SDSU are transferable to SDSU and applicable towards their Degree. PLEASE NOTE: If you are sponsored by the Kuwaiti Government, please complete the Kuwaiti Government Sponsored Student Request Form
- Authorization to Take Additional Courses Outside of SDSU during OPT Period.
- International Student Status Verification Letter: This letter certifies that you are an F-1 or J-1 student attending SDSU. Your date of birth, citizenship, major, and the number of units currently enrolled will be included. Note: No alterations will be made to the standard format of this letter.
- Other: If you need a letter other than the ones above, please provide a detailed description of what you need. Your request will be reviewed and evaluated to determine if the International Student Center can assist.
Reduced Course Load Request Form
Use this form to apply for a reduced course load by Friday of the second week of classes. When completing this request form, you will need to upload the completed and signed Application for Reduced Course Load plus any other required document, when applicable. Before completing this request form, please review Immigration: Application for Reduced Course Load (ARCL) for eligibility.
Release of Information Submission Form
Use this form to authorize the ISC to provide academic and other information to your sponsoring agency, parent, or other sponsor and upload the Release of Information Authorization Form.
SACM Sponsored Request Form
Use this form to request a letter to provide to the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission.