U.S. Student Fulbright Program
The U.S. Student Fulbright Program was established in 1946 to "enable the government of the United States to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and other countries." It pursues this goal through the international exchange of students, scholars, and professionals. Opportunities are given to undertake graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide.
Since 2005, over 90 SDSU students have received U.S. Fulbright grants.
SDSU students and recent alumni should apply through the SDSU campus Fulbright adviser.
The 2021-22 U.S. Student Fulbright Program cycle is now open.
Visit the U.S. Fulbright Student Program website to learn about the various grant options and selection criteria.
- Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application
- Hold a B.A. degree (or equivalent) before the start date of your grant
- Graduating seniors, masters and doctoral students and recent graduates may apply
Applications including all supporting materials are to be submitted in September for grants beginning in the following academic year. Applicants sit for a campus interview and are then given time to revise their application. Final applications are submitted online to Fulbright in October. Following review by the National Selection Committees, semi-finalists are named in January. Recipients of the Fulbright award are notified between March and May.
- The deadline to have your application reviewed by one of our SDSU Fulbright advisors, Dr. Marlin or Dr. Benkov is August 14, 2020
- SDSU applications are due by 12:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time) September 8, 2020
- Campus interview/evaluation September 14-September 25, 2020. Revise your application based on interviewer feedback.
- Recommended deadline to submit online application October 9, 2020
- National Deadline at 2:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time), NO EXCEPTIONS October 13, 2020
- Results from the National Selection Committees will be sent to all applicants January 2021
- Final Fulbright awards are usually announced by April-May 2021.
- Fulbright Deadlines and Components
- Application Checklists
- Writing Workshop Power Point - essay tips!
- Examples of Personal Statement
English Teaching Assistantships
Nancy Marlin Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
"My biggest advice for those applying is to begin early. I don't even know how many drafts I wrote".
Cassandra Neel, SDSU Fulbright recipient, ETA - Turkey