Faculty and Staff

Emergencies Abroad

If you or a student are impacted by an emergency, follow this guidance in conjunction with the following:   

Contact the local 9-1-1 equivalent in that country and know how to ask for first responder help in the foreign language, to include providing your location.

When it is safe to do so and depending on your insurance carrier, contact the international emergency assistance provider AXA Assistance (faculty/staff/employees) or On Call International (students) 24/7 for assistance and reference your policy number when calling. These providers are NOT first responders.

When it is safe to do so, fill out an Incident Report through the Program Development Office. International Affairs will contact you with instructions and support. Be cognizant of Clery Crimes and Title IX Violations reporting timeframes. If you are a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and are seeking to report a crime that you learned of in your role as a CSA, provide information about the crime here. To report a Title IX incident, use this link.

Faculty should have the emergency contact information for all students traveling on their program.

Link here.

Apart from teaching your course, faculty leaders are responsible for their students during the program abroad. Student health while abroad is of the utmost importance and SDSU provides faculty with predeparture training to prepare them to support students’ health and wellness.


Risk Rating

Review the Department of State country information and travel advisory pages and the OnCall International risk rating(s) or Chubb Travel Intelligence Portal and travel advisories for the country(ies) you are visiting to ensure you understand the safety and security risks. Log into the OnCall International plan information portal with the SDSU Group ID 100126CPPD21 to learn more about the services and benefits available to you, gain access to pre-trip resources through plan materials and orientation videos, and access the Global Risk Intelligence site for country specific health, safety and cultural information and advice.

Generally, travel is prohibited to high-risk countries or locations for which 1) the Department of State (DOS) or OnCall International risk ratings are "Level 4 (Do Not Travel)" or "Critical (5)”, respectively, 2) the CSU Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) foreign traveler underwriter has listed as a high hazard or war risk country, or 3) there is reliable information of significant safety, security, or health risks. Travel to all high-risk destinations, to include the aforementioned and DOS Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) or higher or On Call Risk Rating of “High (4)” or higher, require pre-approval by International Affairs.

Faculty, staff, employees, and student employees traveling on university approved business to international destinations as part of their employment must be enrolled in the CSU's Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) prior to departure. The FTIP coverage summary can be accessed here via a valid SDSU ID. Coverage is not automatic; travel must be reported to Risk Management at least 45 days prior to departure to ensure coverage and administrative processing. Complete a T2, Request for Absence from Campus (see Policies & Procedures for campus travel policy, procedures, and forms) and complete the FTIP request form. Submit all paperwork through your campus department for approval.  

The approval process for foreign travel includes the university president or their delegate and if the travel is to countries on the CSU High Hazardous / War Risk Country List, the CSU Chancellor’s Office must review / approve the travel. An additional premium to the FTIP insurance applies to travel to these high hazard countries. Additionally, if travel to an OFAC-sanctioned country on the CSU High Hazardous / War Risk Country List, a travel certification / OFAC affidavit must be obtained from [email protected], signed by the traveler, and emailed back to the referenced Risk Management email.

If faculty are traveling with students, please refer the students to the Global Education Office, 619-594-2475 or [email protected] to complete their travel requirements and enrollment in their separate foreign travel insurance.

Review the information about how to access your international travel insurance abroad and how to contact the associated international emergency assistance provider in case of emergencies. 

Check your personal health insurance plan for international coverage.

Schedule a Travel Medical Consult: SDSU Student Health Services provides these services to help you plan a safe and healthy trip whenever you travel outside the U.S., whether for vacation or university business abroad. 

If you have prescription medication, ensure you have enough medication to last the entirety of your travels and check that it’s legal to bring to your destination. 

Schedule a medical consultation to ensure you are healthy to travel and obtain vaccines required for entry into the foreign country(ies). 

Register your travels on the TerraDotta website. SDSU strongly recommends activation of the Alert Traveler smartphone app and enabling GPS and associated location searches to be “ALWAYS ON” in the event of an emergency. 

Decide which electronic devices to bring and if necessary, request loaner devices (laptop, tablet, etc.) from the SDSU Information Technology Department. Depending on what you are taking and the country to which you are traveling, a license could be required from the U.S. Departments of Commerce, State, or Treasury.

Determine if your phone plan covers international calls, texts, and data and activate international phone and data service. 

Identify specific challenges in the country you are visiting to prepare for your travels and develop a contingency plan to deal with identified safety and security risks.

Create a communication plan including key contacts. 

Make backup copies of your important travel documents.

Register your travels with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Notify your financial institutions of the countries to which you are traveling. 

Be cognizant of Clery Crimes and Title IX Violations reporting timeframes. If you are a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and are seeking to report a crime that you learned of in your role as a CSA, provide information about the crime here. To report a Title IX incident, use this link.

Comply with any U.S. entry requirements regarding vaccinations, disease testing (and proof of negative results), etc. 

Comply with SDSU health restrictions after travel.

Visit SDSU Counseling and Psychological Services if experiencing reverse culture shock